All southbound lanes on the 215 Freeway in Riverside were recently shut down after a semi-truck collided with a guardrail and was sent sliding across all lanes.
The northbound semi-truck was towing a trailer in the second lane on the freeway near the Van Buren Boulevard exit. For reasons unknown, the cab veered into the center median when it then crashed into the guardrail and overturned. The trailer continued into the southbound lanes of the freeway.
As the trailer moved across the multiple lanes, four cars were struck.
Truck Driver, Passenger and One Other Driver Injured
One driver who was traveling in the southbound lane and was struck by the truck suffered minor injuries as a result of the collision. The female passenger in the truck suffered moderate injuries and the driver of the truck was taken to the hospital with major injuries.
Thousands of People Die Each Year Because of Semi-trucks
Approximately 5,000 people in passenger vehicles die every year in crashes involving semi trucks, with 64% of them being semi-trucks pulling a trailer. 700 individuals in semi-trucks (drivers and passengers) also die on an annual basis.
Truck crashes occur for a number of reasons, including:
- Driver fatigue: Truck drivers work long hours and may be sleep deprived which can impair their driving.
- Distracted driving: Distracted drivers are those who are operating a truck or another vehicle while their hands, vision and/or concentration is no longer focused on their vehicle and on the road.
- Inexperience: There are a lot of new truck drivers on the road every year. Truck companies will often hire inexperienced drivers as they tend to charge less by the hour than experienced drivers.
- Improper maintenance of the truck and/or trailer: Federal regulations may state that semi-trucks must be kept in good condition if they are going to be operated. But trucking companies often cut corners by leaving their trucks and trailers poorly maintained.
- Improper loading: Improperly loaded cargo can result in unequal weight distribution, making the truck difficult to maneuver or it may cause the truck to jack-knife.
Seek Justice with Fox & Fox Injury Attorneys
The Fox and Fox Injury Attorneys in the Sherman Oaks area have the experience necessary to investigate the cause behind a truck crash and we are committed to holding negligent parties accountable.
To speak with a truck crash injury attorney at Fox and Fox Law Corp, we invite you to arrange for a free consultation today at (818) 986-4494.